Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Well at least I arrived safely!!

Hey everyone!
Things were so crazy busy before I left that I didn't get the opportunity to give people the head's up about my blog... so if you're reading this now you know! I'd love for you to be able to follow me through the next month and it is always good to hear from home when you're away!
I am at the moment in Frankfurt having a beer in the hostel and relaxing after a ridiculous day!! The flight was totally smooth and empty enough that I was able to score a row by the window. After creative adjustments I had an okay sleep and it was so nice to finally be on the way! So I arrived in Frakfurt still feeling like I'm swaying back and forth on a houseboat, but a little more fresh than before I boarded. Went through customs to baggage claim and I waited.. and waited, telling myself to "relax, there's no way baggage can be lost on a direct flight! It'll be here". But I kind of had a feeling. Sure enough I was the last one standing at the baggage carousel watching a long bag go around three or four time that other than a slightly different shade of blue looked almost identical to mine. The people at baggage claim were so nice, I filled out the report, and wandered around the airport for about an hour hoping to be paged with good news over the intercom.
No such luck so I headed to my hostel (which couldn't BE any more central!) to check-in and go shopping for a change of clothes in case my bag remained MIA for more than 24 hours (when I would be leaving for Istanbul).. no free guided walking tours unfortunately, but I wandered around the city in a somewhat sleep-deprived zombie state and tried to stay relatively dry in the rain. After a quick stop at the grocery store, I headed back to the hostel and was able to get into my room. Some awesome aussies lent me their shampoo, conditioner and mouthwash so I could attempt to feel human again. Then I passed out for three hours or so. Apparently my luck turned around while I was snoozing because I went to the front desk about a half hour ago and my bag had been delivered!!! SO happy!!! What a relief! So now I've booked my hostel for the first night in istanbul, am reading up on Croatia and things have calmed down a bit! I'm going to check out what's going on tonight as I'd love to hit up a German pub for a beer, but I also am exhausted and wanting to be on top of my game for Istanbul tomorrow so I might just lay low and go to bed early!!
Keep in touch!
With love,
Lauren xo

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! What a day to start with! I am glad you got your luggage back. I would be so stressed out...but I guess there is not much you can do but go with the flow:)

    I hope you have a smooth trip to Istanbul...it was one of my favourite places in Europe...it is beautiful. Have fun!!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laur!

    Have to say so sad that you are so close and we won't see each other. Crazy busy in the gyno hospital now and loving it and then we leave to Dublin for U2 and on to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. Can't help but think back to how much fun we had there!

    Anyway...have a safe trip, lots of fun and even more sun!

    Miss you.

    Kar xo

    ReplyDelete